Being a plus sized woman doesn’t make you less beautiful than all the other women out there who are size zero’s and just because you’re on the thicker side doesn’t mean you can’t dress up and look and feel fab anymore. One of the things that I think a lot of plus size women have to deal with when it comes to fashion is finding their size. Thankfully, there are so many fashionable shops and brands out there who cater to women of all sizes, plus size included. Looking fierce and fabulous starts with being confident about your skin and body and once you’ve achieved that confidence, the dressing up part becomes a whole lot easier. Here are some tips for dressing a plus size body.
- Figure out your body type – the term ‘plus size’ does not refer to your body type so if you haven’t already, start doing some research to help you figure out what your body type is. Are you an apple? An inverted triangle? An hourglass? Determining your body type will help you choose styles of clothing when shopping. Once you know what your body type is, the next thing to do is to figure out which cuts and styles will flatter your figure the most.
- Try a monochromatic outfit – one really easy way to look slimmer and really chic is to pull off a monochromatic outfit. It would also help heaps if you could wear a dark monochromatic outfit since these are the two tricks that really help create the illusion of a slimmer figure. Remember that a monochromatic outfit doesn’t always have to be created with plain and solid colored pieces. You can incorporate prints and patterns to the mix as well to make it less boring or you can also choose to wear pieces with different textures to add interest to the whole look.
- Aim to boost your height – if you’re trying to look smaller in plus size clothes, one thing that you should do is to aim to boost your height. Enhancing your silhouette vertically somehow stretches your outline so you look less ‘horizontal’. To do this, just opt for heels instead of flats. If you don’t find heels comfortable, you can opt for wedges instead. They cause less pain and they offer better support, too, so you can walk in them all day long if you have to.
- Find clothes that fit right – some plus size women commit the mistake of wearing clothes that are too tight to make them look slimmer while others try to conceal their body by wearing super baggy clothes. Both these are a no-no when it comes to dressing up a plus size figure. Rather than committing these plus size fashion faux pas, look for clothes that fit like a glove instead. Not too tight nor too loose – just enough room for your to move in it.
- Downplay your accessories – aside from making your outfits look fab, accessories help accentuate the parts of your body where they are laid so be careful when using them. Try not to wear huge, chunky statement accessories on areas that you don’t want to become noticeable like your hips, your tummy or your chest. If you must wear accessories, wear small and dainty ones instead.