My Top 10 Most Re-Purchased Makeup Items : Being a beauty blogger is much like have the memory of a goldfish, you work your way through so many products that it’s not often you remember to go back for seconds on the one’s you really liked. Truthfully, I’m unfairly blaming this trait on being a beauty blogger – I’ve always been this way. Loyal to friends, not so loyal to lipstick.
However, there are some products which I reach for time and time again. The ones that I’ll happy shell out money for, even when there are plenty of other shiny, new items around. You could say they are my HGs (Holy Grails), long-time lovers and makeup kit stapels…what ever you call them, they’re well worth checking out! In no particular order:
1. Mac Hug Me (Lustre) Lipstick – this is my most purchased lipstick of all time!! It’s a gorgeous pink-toned beige shade that works in the office, for a date, for a night on the down, for family lunches…you name it, Hug Me will be there. I’ve been wearing Hug Me for about 6 years now. A note to our dear friends at MAC: if you discontinue it, I will hunt you down!
2. Christian Dior Diorshow mascara – My #1 mascara – some love it, some hate it but for my lashes; it’s heaven! A super-fat (and I don’t mean phat) brush that’ll give you thickened lashes worthy of the ‘false lash effect’ label. Sure it’s exxy, but if it works it’s worth it. Other very close contenders in this category include Lancome Hypnose mascara and Cover Girl Lash Blast.
3. YSL Touch Eclat/Radiant Touch – ahh how many tubes of this stuff have I gone through! I’ve tried the ‘alternate’ versions created by other brands but there’s just something about this gold tube of glory that keeps me coming back. It banishes the telltale signs of a wild night, stress and lapses in judgement (you know, the one’s that make you think you can handle a mid-week CSI marathon when you definitely cannot.)
4. Clinique Gentle Light Loose Powder – I’ve been using this ever since I was in uni…or perhaps even a little before that. This loose powder not only sets foundation but adds an etheral glow to face without depositing any unflattering glitter flakes in your pores (win!) I use a shade just a touch warmer than my skin to keep me from looking too pasty in the winter.
5. Mac Mineralise Skinfinish Natural powder – This is one amazing powder! It works as a powder foundation (if you build it up with a dense brush) or as a setting powder, to add a little extra coverage over your foundation. I’ve worn two shades (Light and Light/Medium) over the few years that this has been around and I ALWAYS have this in my stash.
6. Mac Cremestick lip liner in Sublime Culture – a true my-lips-but-better shade with a creamy formulation that works under ANY lipstick. I don’t wear lip liner everyday, in fact it’s pretty much only for special occassions. However, when I reach for liner this is the one I wear 90% of the time. If you only ever had two liners in your collection I would recommend Sublime Cultre and a basic red shade.
7. Clinique Superbalm – I’ve worn this gorgeous, glossy balm for YEARS! There’s the clear version (called the ‘treatment’) and then the coloured version which are referred to as ‘glosses’ although they still have the amazing balm-like texture. I’ve been using the raspberry shade (a barely-there pinky-red tint) from way back when they still had the old green packaging. I’d never be without a tube of this close by.
8. Estee Lauder Pure Colour Crystal lipstick in Crystal Nude – I’ve been a fan of the Pure Colour Crystal lipsticks for a long time, they were one of the things I used to splurge on back in uni and this shade in particular is just the most perfect, easy-to-wear nude shade. It has the right amount of shine and a very comfortable, smooth texture…well worth the $ (I also love Crystal Baby and Crystal Pink.)
9. Mac Blot Powder Compact– My go-to powder compact. It soaks up shine and keeps my foundation looking good all day without getting cakey or thick. Funnily enough I wear the shade ‘medium’ in this as the colours tend to run on the light side.
10. Clinique Cream Shapers for Eyes in Chocolate Lustre, Egyptian and Brown Sugar – I’ve been using these bad boys since they first came out, way back when I was working as a cosmetics chick at Myer. The creamy formula and gorgeous, glowing shades are perfect for everday use. I’ve used Chcolate Lustre the most of the three shades, but the other two are very close behind!
Interestingly enough, there’s not a lot of brand variety here at all. Given the high rate at which brans ‘turn over’ their product lines it’s amazing to see that all of these staples are still in production (touch wood!)
What brands or items are in your ‘most purchased’ list?