How To Make a Rubber Stamp Print T-shirt – step by step tutorial :
Turn a plain t-shirt into a one-of-a-kind piece by block printing with your own custom stamp. Follow along with the video and then find the full step-by-step tutorial below. This project originally appeared in the Autumn Issue of Rue Magazine.
Shirt, prewashed, Oil- based block printing ink, Block printing block, Lino Cutter, Brayer
DIY Rubber Block Printing Shirt Tutorial
1. Gather your supplies. You’ll need a prewashed tshirt, stamp carving block, carving tool, brayer, oil-based block printing ink, pencil and ruler.
2. Sketch out your arrow design in pencil on your carving block. You can do this with a ruler, or download our arrow end pattern here.
3. After you have the entire design sketched, start by carving around the outline of your design. (If you need some tips on carving a stamp, here are our pro tips.)
4. Carve away from yourself and don’t try to remove too much material at once.
5. After you have outlined the fine details of the design, carve away the large areas.
6. Roll out the ink using a brayer. A steel bench plate is traditional for this step, but we find that an inexpensive ceramic tile from the hardware store works just as well.
7. Place a magazine inside your shirt to protect the fabric on the other side and give you a nice, even surface for stamping.
8. Use the brayer to apply ink to your stamp. Test on a scrap piece of fabric or paper before stamping your shirt.
9. Starting in the center, apply your stamp to your shirt and press firmly to transfer the ink.
10. Working outwards, continue stamping. We alternated the orientation of the stamp each time, too.
11. When you’re finished stamping, allow the ink to try. Then follow the instructions on the ink to heat set if required.
12. That’s it, you’re finished! Wear and enjoy!