Hippie fashion is very laidback and relaxed. Over the years, it has become more of a statement and a way of life (at least for the true hippies, that is). Many people confuse the hippie style with the Bohemian ‘Boho’ style but there are quite a few differences between the two. Boho, for one, is more decadent and glam with layers and layers of clothes and accessories as part of its core. Hippie, on the other hand, is less so and is focused more on art and self expression. Hippie is also more unisex compared to Boho. If you want to know more about dressing like a hippie, check out these tips on how to get a hippie style makeover.
- PLAY WITH COLORS – if you’re going for the traditional hippie look, lots of color in your outfit is a must. Think tie-dye shirts and colorful dresses. There is no limit on how many colors you can wear as long as each of them looks great with one another. The hippie style is a great excuse to really get your color game on so don’t shy away from those color combos you’ve been dreaming to try out.
- MAKE A STATEMENT – the hippie lifestyle is all about trying to make the world a better place and changing it for the better, one step at a time. To translate this into fashion, you can start wearing statement shirts with powerful messages as part of your hippie transformation. Of course, any other statement shirt would work too, including pop art and graphic shirts.
- GO CRAZY WITH PRINTS AND PATTERNS – when it comes to dressing up hippie style, there’s no need to hold back on the crazy prints and bold patterns. Wear them to your heart’s content knowing that you don’t have to be sorry about it later.
- ACCESSORIZE – you already know this by now: accessorizing is a must, no matter what look you are going for. For the hippie look, accessories like flower crowns, wooden jewelry, bead and the like are perfect. When accessorizing for the hippie look, think of flower power and going natural or close to what is natural. As for footwear, hippies go barefoot when they can but opt for flats most of the time.
- ADD A BIT OF MODERN VIBE – remember that today’s hippie fashion is not the same as it used to be so while your mom’s and aunt’s pictures from the past may provide a lot of inspiration, it’s not exactly what would be considered fashionable today. Take inspiration and add a modern twist to it instead.