I have been making these green protein bars for a while but adapted the recipe this time to find a substitute for dates. I used lucuma powder instead to sweeten the bars and I found them just right.
This recipe can be adapted to your likes and dislikes but I made them nut free by using sesame seeds and sunflower seeds, and coconut for the fat. If you have someone with a nut allergy leave out the almond milk and use coconut milk. I topped it all of with a little chocolate ganache made with raw cacao powder. Cacao powder is high in antioxidants and has many health benefits; the greens powder I added is extra insurance. They do not taste like greens at all.
I use Dream Whey protein and Greens First in this bar because I find both of these products’ flavour exceptional and the protein is clean. Note that I have also used different greens powder with comparable results.
Green Protein Bar
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 1/2 cups coconut, finely shredded
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp flax powder
- 1/4 cup protein powder
- 2 tbsp lucuma powder
- 2 tbsp greens first powder
- 1/2 cup almond milk or coconut milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup sunflower butter
- In a food processor pulse together all the dry ingredients 8 to10 times. Add in the milk, vanilla and sunflower butter and pulse again until everything is combined. Press the mixture into a 8 x 8 baking dish.
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or honey
- 2 tbsp coconut or almond milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- pinch of sea salt
- Combine ingredients in a small saucepan over low heat until everything is melted and smooth. Spread over the green bars and refrigerate overnight.