Aveda Smooth Infusion & Oscar Oscar Blow Dry Tips
I’m a bit of a n00b when it comes to blow drying my hair. Straightening? No problem, just hand me my ceramic iron and I’m good to go. But when it comes to getting a decent blow dry with bounce and shine…I kinda suck.
The experts over at Aveda and Oscar Oscar salons have kindly passed on a few tips to help me get that bouncy, shiny blow dry that I’m looking for…you know the one, it’s usually seen on Victoria Secret models!
Oh…hi there Miranda, yes that’s the hair I’m talking about.
Courtesy of Jacky Chan (not the Rush Hour guy…but he is kind of a ninja with hair), the tea at Oscar Oscar salons and Aveda:
- The double wash – a strange concept to me (although I do this whenever I use my purple shampoo.) It’s exactly as it sounds – use a 5 cent piece worth of shampoo and shampoo as normal. Rinse. Repeat. This is supposed to give the hair a much more effective clean than using a larger amount of product in one go. The first wash shouldn’t lather up as much due to the dirt/oil etc in the hair but the second wash will give hair a great clean.
- The Rough Dry – dry your hair with a hair dryer and your fingers to about 80% before attempting to blow dry. This will actually cut down your drying time all up and result in less stress on your hair. Ensure you keep the nozzle of your hair dryer downwards so as not to ‘roughen’ the cuticles in your hair (this is what can cause that frizzy look in hair.)
- Divide and Conquer – section hair off and blow dry it a section at a time. Keep each section to the width of your brush and you’ll find it a lot easier to manage.
- The cool off – after your hair is blow-dried switch your drier to the cool setting and give hair a blast of cold air. This helps to close the cuticles on your hair and will allow your blow dry to keep it’s shape for longer.
- Prep hair before blow drying with a ‘smoothing product’ like the Aveda Smooth Infusion Styling Prep which works as a 3-in-1 product: it protects, treats and styles. Meaning you don’t need three separate products, which is good news for fine haired gals like me!
Volumising your blow dry
In the above pic you can see the lovely hair stylist sprinkling something into my hair – it’s a magic hair potion of sourts. The Aveda Pure Abundance Hair Potion is the limp-haired gal’s miricle product. It is essentially a powder to paste product that thickens, lifts and gives you hair the volume you wish you had naturally. It soaks into hair without leaving any powdery residue and thickens the root to give height.
According to the Aveda website the Pure Abundance Hair Potion:
* instantly thickens hair by 17%
* relies on natural bulking agents acacia gum and kaolin clay
* creates matte texture
* great for creating a gritty, “second-day hair” look
Seriously, this stuff is amazing! It retails for $39.95 and you only need the tiniest amount to get a great effect.