When it comes to minimal dressing. New Yorkers know best. Aside from being really chic and sophisticated, their style is also rather practical. Raiding most New Yorker fashionistas’ closets, you will most likely find the basics (shirts, jeans, trousers, pumps) and a few on trend pieces. At first look, you might think it’s a boring wardrobe, but let imagination take its course and you’ll see how chic the New Yorker’s closet can be. Basics paired up with a few trendy pieces here and there always make for a great outfit. Always. And one basic piece that’s really easy to play with is a white shirt. Here are a few ideas on how to wear a white shirt like a New York gal.
- In a black and white ensemble – this is by far the safest way to wear a white shirt like a New Yorker. It’s a classic that never goes out of style, and that is why it makes such a great go-to outfit for any occasion.
- With jeans – looking for an easy yet sophisticated everyday look that can easily go from street style to sophisticated and chic in a hot second? Wear your white shirt with jeans and pair it up with either pumps or sneakers, depending on the look that you’re going for, finished up with minimal makeup for that minimalist New Yorker vibe.
- Out of proportions – if you find a plain white shirt too boring for your liking, you can always have fun with a more contemporary out-of-proportions kind of silhouette. Bat-wing sleeves, hi-low hems — these are just some of the styles that you can opt for when you want a white shirt that’s not boring and dull.
- Ladylike – if you think a casual and everyday street style are the only looks you can pull off while wearing a white shirt, think again! You most certainly can add a ladylike twist to your white tee by pairing it up with a nice and girly skirt. My personal favorite is a full midi skirt as it is universally flattering and very easy to pull off though pencil skirts, maxis, and other styles work just as well.
- Layered up – another way to wear a white shirt like a New Yorker is to layer it up. NY fashionistas are fond of layering. Aside from making a piece even more comfy and warm, layering also adds more depth and element to an outfit and that’s exactly what something as plain as a white tee needs.
- Detailed with style – if you’re worried about your white shirt being too mainstream, the answer is simple: look for a white shirt with unique details. Style details, no matter how big or small, can help your white shirt stand out and your style shine through. This is also how New Yorkers ensure that despite wearing basic pieces like a white shirt, they still stand out and stick with their personal style preferences.