Getting your lashes to look long and lush is no easy job. You need to find the perfect mascara(s) to cater to your needs, be it volumizing, lengthening, curling or all of the above. The perfect mascara also has to be the perfect formula with the perfect wand and with so many out there, it could take a while before you finally meet your holy grail. If you don’t have the time and the patience, there are other options, too, like falsies and extensions. Before you go to those lengths, though, check out these tips to get your best lash look ever.
- CURL BEFORE AND AFTER – some say to curl your lashes before you apply mascara, other say to do it after. I find that my lashes curl and hold their curl best when I do it before and after. Curling before gives it that boost to make it curl upwards and curling after helps re-lift your lashes to keep mascara from weighing it down.
- USE MULTIPLE MASCARAS – if you don’t have the time to look for that one mascara that does it all for you, save yourself the hassle and layer on different mascaras instead. Layer on a coat each of lengthening, curling and volumizing mascara and see your lashes come to life!
- SEPARATE YOUR LASHES – Aubrey Hepburn’s secret to drool-worthy lashes was separating each lash (yes, one by one) with a needle but you don’t need to go to that length to get everyday gorgeous lashes. What you can do instead is to use a lash comb instead after applying your mascara to remove the clumps and make your lashes look more detailed and defined.
- FIND THE PERFECT WAND – finding the perfect wand is way easier than finding the perfect mascara formula as there are fewer wand style out there to choose from. I personally like a bended (L-shaped) wand as it makes application easier and helps me coat all of my lashes. Once your favorite wand, use with any mascara. Store it in a Ziploc bag when not in use and clean before each application.
- NEVER RUSH – mascara application is an art that you need to master. You can’t rush it if you want the best results. Start at the base (as close to the lash line as you can possible) and wiggle your way up. This will ensure you that all strands are coated evenly and beautifully.
- ENHANCE WITH EYELINER – the last step when applying mascara should always be finishing up with eyeliner. Tightline if you can or, at the very least, line your upper lash line to create the illusion of even fuller lashes.