Creating a capsule wardrobe can be hard for someone who loves clothes, fashion, and everything else about dressing up and being dolled up. As someone who thrives and finds joy in trying and buying new clothes, the thought of having to create a capsule wardrobe to simplify and make my mornings quicker seemed like too much of a challenge until I actually started on it. As it turns out, it’s not that hard if you have a few key pieces and you know the look you want to go for. Check out these tips for creating a chic capsule wardrobe:
- Decide on a look – the first thing you need to have before you can successfully build a chic capsule wardrobe is a vision on the kind of look you want to portray. Think of the impression you want to give with the clothes you’ll be wearing; do you want to appear cool and edgy? Chic and business savvy? Sexy but classy? Once you decide on what look you want to achieve you can start picking pieces to add to your capsule wardrobe.
- Sort your current wardrobe – the next step before you buy clothes to add to your capsule wardrobe is to go through your current wardrobe and see if there are pieces that you can keep. This will minimize the cost of building your capsule wardrobe and it will also save you from buying doubles of what you already have.
- Get on with the basics – once that’s all done, the next step is to make sure you have all the basics in your capsule wardrobe: plain shirts, jeans, trousers, a blazer or two, some skirts, and a few pairs of shoes along with classic accessories — these are all the key pieces you’ll need for your capsule wardrobe.
- Stick to neutrals – as much as possible, it’s best to stick to neutral colors when building a capsule wardrobe. This way, you’re free to quickly and effortlessly mix and match the pieces you have and you’re able to create multiple looks with them. Blacks, whites, beiges, grays, and some blues make for a great capsule wardrobe color palette.
- Don’t forget the statement pieces – now, you may be thinking “this capsule wardrobe thing sounds too boring for my taste!” but don’t worry, you’re allowed a few statement pieces here and there to spice up your look every now and then. You can add statement accessory pieces or key pieces in vibrant colors and interesting prints when you want a different look on a certain day.