When we hear the word ‘witch’ we almost always immediately think about something rather scary and spooky but over the years, the image of witches have been altered by the media and pop culture that they don’t seem as frightening anymore (at least not all of them, anyway). In fact, some of the witches of today look nothing like what they used to be portrayed as but rather just like regular human beings… with hidden powers, of course. And since Halloween is just a couple of weeks away, we thought it’d be nice to compile a list of wickedly cute witches to dress up as for Halloween for those of you out there who want something that’s got the right Halloween vibe minus the gore and what not. Check them out below.
- Glinda the Good Witch – perhaps one of the earlier witches to be portrayed as a good one was Glinda the Good Witch from the Wizard of Oz. If you’re looking for a sweet, dainty, girly look / costume that you can wear to Halloween this year, why not try going as Glinda? A pink dress, a huge crown, a pair of wings and a wand are all that you need to get the look.
- The White Witch – another cute witch that you can dress up as for Halloween this year is the White Witch from The Chronicles of Narnia. To get the look, you’ll a dreamy, icy white dress, an ice crown and a scepter. She may not look it but the White Witch can wreak havoc and war.
- Hermione Granger – one of the most popular witches today Is Hermione Granger (played by Emma Watson) from Harry Potter, of course. What’s so great about dressing up as Hermione is that she’s so popular you can get a costume just about anywhere and it’s quite easy to DIY as well. Go for an innocent looking sweet, young Hermione with the cute curls and bangs or sex it up and do a real hot take on the witch’s look by opting for a miniskirt and long cape in place of her usual long robe.
- Samantha Stephens – retro is always a good look and if you’re looking for a good retro witchy inspiration, you can find it in Bewitched, a TV show from the 60s and the 70s which starred Elizabeth Montgomery as Samantha, a housewife with magical witchy powers she can summon by wiggling her nose.
- Sabrina the Teenage Witch – now that we’ve covered the 60s and 70s, let’s take a look at what we can get out of the 90s. With every trend from the 90s resurfacing again this year, it might be a good idea to go for a Halloween look inspired by the time period. Sabrina the Teenage Witch was a wickedly popular TV show (then turned into a movie) back in the 90s and Sabrina was every girl’s favorite witch. Go ahead and make yourself some popcorn and watch reruns of this show to get loads of inspiration for your next Halloween look.