Have you ever had a haircut so bad you just wanted to sleep until your hair grew back into its old length? I have. There are so many hair fiascos that I have personally experienced and most of them involved chopping my hair off which is partly why I rarely go for haircuts anymore, save for the regular mandatory trim. However, I’ll be honest and admit that there are times when I think about just chopping my hair off again, just to see how I’ll like it this time around. I once got around to finally cutting my hair off again and, sadly, I didn’t like it any better than the last one but it didn’t have me feeling so bad afterwards because I knew I could just clip some extensions on and it’ll look like nothing even happened. If you’re fond of wearing extensions, too, check out these tips and trick for wearing extensions that will help you get the most out of them.
- MEET YOUR MATCH – if you want to have natural looking hair while wearing extensions, the most important thing to do is to make sure that you’re getting the right color match for your hair and your extensions. If you have colored hair with highlights and lowlights and whatnot, you might want to hold off on buying online and just go in a store and buy from there instead so you can see the actual hair color of the extensions you’re buying.
- SPLURGE ON THE REAL DEAL – there are two kinds of hair extensions (in general) that you can get your hands on: real human hair extensions and synthetic extensions. The latter is great if you’re looking for something cheap to use only for a certain look (ex: for cosplaying) but if you’re looking for something that you can wear on a daily basis, i would suggest you go ahead and splurge on the real deal. Human hair extensions look better and they blend in better with your own hair, too.
- TREAT THEM NICELY – once you have your hair extensions, make sure to take good care of them and give them proper maintenance. Shampoo and condition your extensions just as you would your regular hair and brush them every so often to prevent tangles and knots.
- HOW TO BRUSH YOUR EXTENSIONS – speaking of tangles and knots, make sure that you brush and detangle your extensions BEFORE putting them on. You don’t want to pull and tug at them once they’re clipped in because 1) that would mess up your look and 2) that will destroy the clips. Lay your extensions out on a flat surface and start brushing and detangling.
- CREATE LAYERS FOR A NATURAL LOOK – instead of clipping on a full head of extensions, why don’t you go for smaller parts and clip them into different sections of your hair? This will give you a layered look that’s natural-looking and beautifully blended in your hair.
- CAREFUL WITH HEAT – even with real human hair extensions, you need to be careful with heat styling because unlike your natural hair, your extensions aren’t getting natural oils that keep them moisturized so they can dry up really quickly. Use hair protectant on them anytime you want to style them with heat and keep heat exposure down to a minimum.