Accessorizing is one of the most important steps when putting together an outfit. A piece of accessory may not look like much but when paired with the right outfit and worn with other accessories correctly, it can take your outfit to a whole new level. Of course, the key here is to do it right. Here are the basic rules of accessorizing that will help you put together chic looks more easily.
- INVEST IN GREAT SHOES – shoes can make or break your look so don’t settle for something you know you won’t be able to use. If you see a rather expensive pair that you like and think it would go really well with a lot of your outfits, go for it (or save for it first). Your shoes will dictate whether your outfits are casual, dressy, sexy or whatnot, whether they’re for work, for play, for dates or for errands. Black shoes are a must but don’t stock up on them and explore colors, prints and patterns as well.
- DON’T BE AFRAID TO WEAR SCARVES ALL YEAR ROUND – they’re mostly featured as cold weather must haves but that doesn’t mean they’re just for fall and winter. Scarves are one of the accessories that you can wear all year round without a problem. Opt for the lighter and more colorful ones for spring and summer and leave the thicker and chunkier kinds for fall and winter.
- ALWAYS WEAR JEWELRY – it doesn’t have to be a bold statement piece all the time or an expensive one at that. It can be something as simple as a dainty necklace or maybe a pair of simple and subtle but chic diamond stud earrings. You know you’re overdoing it when you start to question yourself and ask “is this too much?”
- DON’T BE AFRAID TO GET MATCHY-MATCHY – some people think having a theme when picking out accessories is tacky but it definitely isn’t. In fact, revolving on a certain theme / going for a certain look can even help you decide which accessories to mix and match, making it easier for you to get dolled up and dressed.
- BUT ALSO, DON’T BE AFRAID TO MIX AND MATCH – getting matchy-matchy can be cute but don’t let that stop you from mixing and matching pieces and creating unconventional looks that are fab and unique.
- LESS IS MORE – the last rule of accessorizing is to remember that less is more. Never feel obliged to wear something if you don’t feel like it’s going to work with the rest of your look. Keep your outfit simple and your look minimal. It’s a great way to avoid different sorts of fashion faux pax.