I posted a butternut squash soup recipe a while ago made with curry and it is one of my favorites but I think this soup has taken its place. There is no coconut milk in this soup so it’s not creamy but smooth and flavorful with just a hint of cardamon and ginger. The apple gives it a little sweetness.
Butternut squash contains many nutrients but best known for beta-carotene with its rich orange color. Top the soup with a few pumpkin seeds, a touch of cilantro and this makes a nutritious lunch or starter. This soup is so nourishing and comforting; perfect for fall and easy on your digestive system.
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Cardamon and Ginger
I make this soup thick; stick to your ribs kind of soup. If you find it too thick you can add more broth.
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, diced into 1 inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 gala apple, cored, cut into quarters (if they are small use two)
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 – 3 tbsp organic butter or coconut oil, or olive oil
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 4 cardamon pads
- 1 bay leaf
- sea salt, pepper
- 4 cups chicken stock (preferably homemade)
- pumpkin seeds
- cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Add the squash, apple, onion and garlic to the baking sheet. Drizzle with coconut oil or organic butter, sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. Bake for 45 minutes or until the squash is cooked through. Don’t let anything burn; it will ruin the soup.
- In a large pot add 1 tablespoon of the coconut oil and the grated ginger. Cook over medium heat until the ginger starts to become fragrant. Add the cooked squash, apple, onion, garlic, cardamon pods, bay leaf and chicken stock. Bring everything to a boil and reduce heat and continue to cook for 15 to 20 minutes until the cardamon and bay leaf have infused the soup.
- Remove the bay leaf and cardamon and transfer the soup to a Vita-Mix, in two batches. Puree the soup until smooth. Taste for seasoning and add a little pepper or salt as needed.
- Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro and pumpkin seeds.