Ava was home with me tonight for girls night and I asked her is she wanted to go shopping. What girl does not like shopping? She said no, “I want to bake something”. My response was, “Baking over shopping, really?”
She wanted cake, not cookies, definitely cake. With bananas on top not inside and icing, of course. We collaborated and came up with this cake that Ava insisted was the best ever. She is a tough critic so it must be good.
The best part is how fast it is to prepare. In the picture the coconut oil icing is melting all over the cake because she couldn’t wait long enough for it to cool before we were off for bedtime stories. If you end up making the icing, it sets when refrigerated.
Orange Coconut Flour Cake with Chocolate Coconut Icing
- 6 eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup palm sugar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- zest of one orange
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup coconut flour, sifted
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8 inch cake pan with coconut oil.
- In a medium bowl mix the eggs, palm sugar, honey vanilla, orange zest and coconut milk until smooth. Add the sifted coconut flour, baking soda and sea salt. Mix until smooth and any lumps are incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 40 – 45 minutes until the cake pulls away from the sides of the pan and is done in the centre.
- When the cake is done, cool for a few minutes and turn out onto a cooling rack. Cool completely before icing.
Chocolate Coconut Oil Icing
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, room temperature (mine was warm because it is a hot day, not completely melted)
- 3 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- pinch of salt
- Blend until smooth. Refrigerate for 10 minutes, to thicken a little, then mix for a few minutes and frost the cake.