A very good friend of mine gave me an impressive jar of anchovies and I was dying to use them. The best gifts I receive are food, is something wrong with that? If you have never tried anchovies before they are salty little fish packed in oil and are a staple ingredient in many areas, including France and Italy. If you have had them and did not like them it is probably because of the type of anchovy you had. You need to source good anchovies packed in oil or salt. They are great added to pizza or in sauces and fantastic in ceasar salad dressing and the classic nicoise salad from Provence.
I came across this recipe while stocking, once again, David Lebovitz’s site. When it comes to this salad the ingredients must, I repeat must, be good quality. It is all about the flavour of the ingredients. Perfectly cooked hard boiled eggs, good quality anchovies, fresh olives and the best greens you can get your hands on.
I used green beans, mixed greens and fresh chopped basil in my salad. I used really good olives (not canned) and I did not have spring onions but I think it would be better with them. I do not have a large wooden salad bowl and I have been meaning to find one but its never at the top of my list so I am hoping I will come across one someday. If you do have one rub the inside of the bowl with a garlic clove.
Adapted from David Lebovitz
- 3 hardboiled eggs
- small bunch of green beans, blanch for 3 minutes in boiling water, submerge in ice water
- 4 cups mixed greens, or butter lettuce or arugula
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 2 tbsp fresh basil
- 1/3 cup small black olives, pitted
- 1 small cucumber
- good quality cold pressed olive oil
- fluer de sel and black pepper
- squeeze of fresh lemon
- 3 – 4 fillets of anchovies, cut into thin strips
- Peel hardboiled eggs and cut into wedges.
- Cut tomatoes into wedges, slice cucumber and green onions and sprinkle with salt.
- Mix the olive oil with fresh basil and lemon juice and salt and pepper in a small bowl and set aside.
- Add greens to a large bowl and toss with 1/2 the olive oil mixture. Add the eggs tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, green beans and anchovies to the top and drizzle over the remaining dressing.