Living in London made me a lazy cook. The vast number of readily-prepared – and delicious – foods available in the supermarkets is truly unbelievable. I could go without cooking for weeks if I felt like it: I’d buy washed-and-chopped greens and pair them with ready-made salad dressing; pick up packets of Quorn sausages and bake or fry them for dinner; or dip freshly-baked pita into packaged organic hummus. The possibilities were endless! One of my favorite snacks was packaged baked tofu, which inspired the recipe below.
If living in London made me lazy, living in India has made me crazy. Um, I mean, it has made me extradetermined to make the things I love which aren’t available here (e.g. over the winter, I “sun” dried my own tomatoes in the oven since I couldn’t find any ready-made ones in the supermarkets). One of the items I’ve been dying to replicate was baked tofu, and I loved the flavor so much that I’ve been making it regularly ever since! Soon I’ll have to experiment with different marinade flavors (any ideas? I’m thinking sesame and ginger next…). As I mentioned before, the secret to making tasty tofu is marinading it in a yummy sauce for at least an hour before cooking, so the flavors have time to absorb.
Apologies for the poor-quality photos – I only had my iPhone on hand at the time
- Two 100g blocks tofu
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp mustard
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- pinch of salt
- Remove the tofu from its packaging, empty out the water, and place the blocks in between some paper towels. Next, find a heavy weight (cans work well) and press the tofu for at least 15 minutes to allow all the moisture to come out. Then, slice it into 1/2″ thick strips.
- Whisk together the olive oil, soy sauce, mustard, lemon juice, sugar, and salt, to create the marinade.
- Place the tofu in a secure plastic box, coat with the marinade, close the box and mix well.
- Pop the box into the fridge for at least an hour (the longer the better), shaking the box gently once in a while so the marinade is evenly distributed.
- Once you’re ready to bake the tofu, preheat the oven to 190ºC/375ºF.
- Place the tofu along with marinade in a baking dish and bake for 20-25 minutes, turning halfway through.
I served it with my favorite haloumi salad
This would also be great with couscous, brown rice, or in a salad, and leftovers are great for packed lunches!
Note: Posting will slow down a bit this week because I’m going to be travelling, but I’ll be back soon with outfits & other fun things to share! xo