Selfies are everywhere and the word itself has even made its way to the list of new words in the Oxford dictionary. Some people think that taking self portraits, or ‘selfies’ as they call it, can be considered a mental disorder but I personally think that it’s fine as long as you do it in moderation, selfies are fine. I know a lot of women who love to do their makeup before taking a selfie but we all know that the camera can either be a friend or a foe when it comes to taking pictures with makeup so you have to be careful if you want picture perfect results that are Instagram-worthy. Here are some makeup tips for taking the perfect selfie.
- Wash, exfoliate and prime – all these are essential if you want your make to go on your skin smoothly without clumping up or streaking in random areas. If you’re using an HD camera and you have a problem with pores, it would help if you could use a pore minimizing primer / product like the Maybelline New York Baby Skin Pore Eraser or Benefit’s Porefessional. These eliminates the need for filters on your Instagram photos, too.
- Use mattifying face products – when taking photos for Instagram, you usually hold your camera at arm’s length and chances are that your device has some sort of flash as well to make photos clearer, brighter and sharper but that also means it can make your skin look shinier and greasier so using mattifying products is always a must. If you don’t have a mattifying foundation, you can always lessen the shine by dabbing some finishing powder on.
- Skip the SPF – another thing to remember when taking photos with the flash turned on your gadget is to skip the SPF. Products that contain SPF tend to give you that ghostly white cast in flash photography so if you’re doing your makeup just for Instagram anyway, feel free to skip it. If you plan on going outdoors after your Instagram shoot, you can spritz some SPF mist on before leaving or you can opt to go with products that contain lower SPF levels.
- Use green concealer – uneven skin tone is one of the most popular beauty woes faced by women and it’s never a good thing to take selfies with your skin showing redness in random spots which is why a green concealer is always useful. Green concealer neutralizes and diffuses redness so dab some on areas with pimples that need covering up before you click the shutter.
- Go HD – most smartphones today are equipped not just with life-changing apps and features but also with HD cameras that can replace your old digital cameras which means that your selfies are most likely to expose each and every detail on your face so the best way to get the most out of this for your selfies is to use HD makeup products as well. HD makeup products have light-diffusing formulas and thinner ingredients so it doesn’t show up on film. Remember that HD doesn’t always have to be expensive all the time. Drugstore brands like ELF and NYX have their own HD lines that offer more affordable options.
- Get a little heavy handed – if you’re so used to doing light makeup for your everyday looks, you might want to consider getting a little more heavy handed for selfie makeup. Light makeup doesn’t show up quite well on camera so it’s always better to use a bit more product.