Raw Vegan Cashew Cheesecake Recipe :
There is a new obsession developing with me. Not that I need or want another obsession but this one is for the incredible spices I have been finding at the spice merchant at the farmers market. The Silk Road Spice Merchant is a great place to find exotic spices, great sea salts and the lavender flowers I picked up for this dessert.
I love cheesecake but I can no longer tolerate dairy so I made this raw cheesecake from soaked cashews and it was fantastic. I love the combination of the lavender with the blueberry and the creaminess of the “cheese” cake. If I were to serve this to someone unfamiliar with raw desserts my guess would be that they would not know it doesn’t contain cream cheese.
The inspiration for this recipe came from the fabulous Roost blog. I often make raw desserts especially in the warmer months. I was going to say hotter here but does it ever get hot in Calgary?
- 1 cup almonds, soaked overnight
- 7 or 8 dates
- 1 tsp vanilla powder or extract
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Blend together in a food processor fitted with an S blade until combined and it starts to form a ball. Press into a tart pan with a removable bottom.
- 2 cups raw cashews, soaked 2 hours
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, warmed
- 1/3 cup raw honey
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1 tsp lavender
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Blend all the ingredients together in a VitaMix. Pour the filling into the crust and spread out evenly. Freeze until set. Remove from the freezer and let in thaw a little before serving. You can also refrigerate overnight to set.
Blueberry Sauce for Vegan Cashew Cheesecake
- 3 cups frozen or fresh blueberries
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or honey
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 tsp potato starch mixed in 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- In a small saucepan over medium low heat, warm the blueberries and lemon juice for 5 minutes. Add the maple syrup and continue to cook over low heat for another 5 minutes. Add the potato starch slurry and cook for another 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the vanilla and sea salt.