We all want to look young for as long as possible which is why anything with a label that says ‘anti-aging’ on it sells so quickly in the market. Of course, aside from using makeup to make yourself look young, we all know that looking truly healthy and youthful is having good skin. With all the makeup you use and the pollution and dirt you expose your skin to on a daily basis, though, having good skin can be tough. Here are some tips on how to keep your skin looking young.
- Protect with sunscreen – one of the most damaging things you can expose your skin to is UVA and UVB rays coming from the sun and this is the exact reason why you should wear sunscreen at all times. Yes, wearing sunscreen should be done everyday regardless of whether you see the sun or not. Wearing sunscreen also should not just be done on the body but on the face, neck and décolleté as well. For daily use, anything with SPF 30 is recommended. As for the delicate areas like the eyes and lips, simply use products for these areas (lip balm, eye serum, etc.) that are infused with SPF protection.
- Exfoliate and moisturize correctly – I feel like there’s this need to always put the word ‘correctly’ after telling women to exfoliate and moisturize because some women don’t take the time to figure out how to really do these two things to get the most out of it. Some skin experts would recommend daily exfoliation in general but if you have sensitive skin, you should know that exfoliating tends to irritate the skin so you should do it less. Moisturizing, too, is often done wrong. Take the time to look up exfoliation and moisturizing tips for your skin type. This will help you take care of your skin better.
- ALWAYS wash off your makeup before bed – many girls take this step for granted because they don’t see any adverse effect as of now but the bad habit of sleeping with your makeup on will take a toll on your skin sooner or later so it’s better to prevent that by dragging yourself to the bathroom and wash that face off before hitting the sack everyday now. If you’re really dead tired, at least take the majority of it with makeup remover wipes.
- Update your skin care routine as you age – what your skin needed when you were in your teens is not the same as what it would need now that you’re in your mid-twenties and definitely not the same as what it would need later on when you’re in your 30s or 40s or 50s. Make sure you update your skin care routine every now and then and take out what’s not necessary and get started on what is.
- Stop skin abuse – there are little things that you do that you may not notice is making your skin age more rapidly. Tugging on the skin in your eye area to get the perfect cat eye, for example, will lead to crow’s feet when done excessively. Sucking on a straw with every drink may keep your teeth as white as possible but it’s just as bad as smoking when it comes to developing wrinkles and laugh lines around your mouth.
- Pamper your skin – another really good way to keep your skin looking young is to pamper it with every chance you get. Even those little mini facials you can do during your free time before you go to bed or putting that sheet mask on while you get prepped in the morning is going to help in keeping your skin looking young, radiant and glowing.