An easy way to beautify a casual top or dress is with a necklace. But before you go shopping for a new necklace, know that there are several factors that you need to consider. Get the best accessory for your look by minding these tips on buying necklaces.
Know the Types
Before you get started on your shopping expedition, you should be mindful of the different types of necklaces:
- Choker – Also known as chain or strand, it measures anywhere from 14 to 16 inches.
- Princess – At 18 inches, it is at the level of the collarbone.
- Matinee – This necklace length ranges from 20 to 24 inches. The 20-inch necklace is ideal for placing lockets and pendants.
- Opera – A necklace measuring 30 inches, the end is located below the bust.
- Lariat – A necklace with a length of 36 inches. Lariats without clasps are known as Ropes.
Mind Your Height
When it comes to picking necklaces, you should consider your height into the buying equation.
If you have a petite frame (below 5’4”) chokers, princess and matinee necklaces (at 20 inches) are the best choices for you. Wear any of these pieces over a V-neck dress or top to create an illusion of height.
If your height ranges from 5’4” to 5’7”, you are in luck as any type of necklace will look good on you.
If your height goes beyond 5’7”, avoid chokers and other short-style necklaces. Longer necklaces are better as they can complement your height.
Ponder on your Body Type
Your body type should also influence your necklace shopping decisions. If you have a column body type, choose matinee necklaces as they can draw attention to your chest.
However, if you are not endowed with a healthy bust, you are better off with longer necklaces.
If you are a full-figured lady with a pear or apple body shape, a princess necklace is your best choice.
Shopping necklaces is not just about choosing the style that tickles your fancy. For the best look, make sure to consider your height and body type.