The peaches we have been getting are so good. My kids have never liked the “fuzzy skin” on peaches until now. I chopped up a few peaches and added lime juice, zest, fresh mint and a little honey to top off these coconut custards. The custard would work well with mango as well.
I used agar flakes which is a type of seaweed that acts like gelatine in the custard. It set up very well in the fridge and the coconut custard paired very well with the lime and mint peaches. A beautiful, simple dessert for a hot day and no baking required.
Coconut Milk Custard
- 2 cans coconut milk
- 1/4 cup coconut/palm sugar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp agar flakes
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla powder of extract
- Combine the coconut milk, sugar and honey and agar in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and let simmer for about 10 minutes until the agar has dissolved. There will still be some agar pieces.
- Strain through a fine mesh strainer to remove any larger pieces of agar, pushing the undissolved agar through as well. Pour the mixture into 6 small ramekins or 4 larger bowls. Refrigerate until set, about 2 hours. Top with peaches.
Mint and Lime Peaches
- 2 large juicy peaches
- zest and juice of one lime
- 5 – 6 mint leaves, chopped
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- Cut peaches into small chunks, and add mint, lime zest and juice and honey.