I adore chickpeas. I eat them almost every day. Apart from being absolutely delicious and versatile, they are a great source of protein, calcium, fibre, zinc, copper and folate, and are low in saturated fat and cholesterol.
- 3 cups chickpeas (cooked or canned)
- handful of red onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- handful of basil, shredded finely*
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- Balsamic vinaigrette (1 tbsp maple syrup, 6 tbsp balsamic vinegar, 4 tbsp olive oil, pinch of salt)
- Make the balsamic vinaigrette by combining the ingredients and mixing well. Crush the garlic cloves and add to the vinaigrette to be removed later.
- Combine the vegetables and add the vinaigrette (remove the garlic first, if desired).
- Let the salad sit for a couple of hours to allow the chickpeas to absorb the vinaigrette. Canned chickpeas need to be soaked longer than freshly-boiled chickpeas.