Puffy coats are undeniably one of the warmest and most comfortable things you can own and wear during a cold winter day. The only thing about puffy coats, however, is that they tend to make you look bigger than you really are and that is something we’re all trying to avoid, no matter what outfit and look. If you don’t know how to style a puffy coat, you might be leading yourself to some serious fashion trouble. Don’t worry, though, because we have some tips for you. Here are some things to remember when styling puffy coats.
- Pick a coat with a hood – having a hood on your puffy coat will add volume to the upper part of the ensemble, slightly balancing the overall silhouette of your look and making your puffy coat look less puffy on you.
- Choose black – you already know by now that black has a slimming effect on its wearer so if you’re having trouble with the added volume from your puffer coat, why not get one in black? It’s an easy way to streamline the silhouette and achieve a slightly less puffy silhouette at the same time without compromising warmth and comfort.
- Belt it up – if the straight and puffy silhouette is what puts you off about your puffy coat, there is one simple solution you can try and that is to use a belt to cinch the waist and create a curvier and more detailed silhouette. Try to look for puffy coats with built-in belts. If you can’t find one, though, you can always use a separate belt from your closet instead.
- It’s in the sleeves – one way to reduce the look of puffiness in a puffy coat is to have as little puff as possible. Look for a piece with non-puffy sleeves and you will definitely see a big difference.
- Remember to find the right size – when it comes to size and fit, puffy coats can be unforgiving so be sure to get the right one for you. Try your best not to get one that’s too big for you because that can be very unflattering.
- Leave it open – leaving your puffy coat open instead of zipping it all the way up can also help reduce the puffy look when wearing a puffy jacket.
- Watch the length – another thing that you should watch out for when picking out a puffer jacket is the length. Ones that are too short can exaggerate the puffy look and ones that are too long can swallow up your figure and both are very unflattering. Look for one that hits around mid thigh for the perfect look.