Kendall and Kylie Jenner, Miranda Kerr, Alexa Chung – all these It Girls are the epitome of the fashionable woman and if there’s one thing common in all of them, it’s that they’re not afraid to style themselves out of the box. Fashion is a fickle industry. What’s hot and trendy now may be considered passé tomorrow and vice versa. A great example of this would be the turtleneck. Back in the 90s, turtlenecks were everything. And then the 2000’s came and declared turtlenecks to be a no-no. Today, more and more style stars are giving this piece a chance and proving to us that they deserve a spot in your wardrobe. Here are some tips on how to make the turtleneck look chic.
- WEAR IT WITH YOUR HAIR DOWN – instead of putting your hair up in a bun or a ponytail like you did back in the 90s when wearing a turtleneck top, put your hair down instead. This very subtle change will make a huge difference in your looks and will give your turtleneck top a more relaxed, laidback and effortless vibe.
- ADD LAYERS TO IT – turtleneck tops are often very simple so adding details and layers to them is easy. A poncho / cape – style blanket draped over a turtleneck sweater makes for an instant ‘model off duty’ look. You can also try wearing a dress with a low cut neckline on top of your turtleneck for a dainty and feminine look.
- ACCESSORIZE WITH A STATEMENT NECKLACE – as stated earlier, turtleneck tops tend to be really simple so to make them stand out and look chic, accessorizing is a must and what better accessory to add to a turtleneck than a gorgeous statement necklace?
- CROP IT – another way to make the turtleneck look chic is to wear it cropped. A long-sleeved crop top with a turtleneck detail is the perfect outfit to wear for fall when you want something sexy but not too overly racy or anything. It’s also a great way to add a modern twist to this 90s cold weather staple. Pair it up with a maxi skirt for maximum chic effect.
- OPT FOR A LOOSE NECK – turtlenecks don’t always have to make you feel suffocated. If this is one of the reasons you’ve come to hate it, one that’s a little loose around the neck might just be what you need to reconsider. This is perfect for those who don’t like anything fitted.
- PAIR IT UP WITH LEATHER – wearing anything with leather is a surefire way to give it major chic vibes so if you’re looking for ways to give the old turtleneck top a modern makeover, try wearing it with leather pants or topping it off with a leather jacket.